Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Potty Training?!?!?!

I started yesterday morning after breakfast potty training Ali. I woke up and got to the polls at 6:30am so that I would not have to leave the house with her. It is not going how I pictured. All moms think their kid is smart and wonderful. I think Ali is smart for her age, very verbal, aims to please for the most part and knows that she has peed or pooped by telling me and requesting a diaper change. The phrase usually is, "Mommy, pooped. Diaper Change!" So she is showing signs of readiness. I got a book, geared myself up and cleaned up a whole lotta pee yesterday. Same goes for today only I get to add poop to the list of cleaned up stuff. I had to phone a friend for moral support and pointers and ask if spanking during the process really isn't allowed. She is interested in the potty mostly cause she is "reading" books and coloring while she is on there. She will sit there for 10-15 min, not do anything then pee her pants, floor and anything else in range (me) 2 mins after she gets off the potty. I know it will happen, but come on! I was nuts when I believed the book about the possiblity of her getting it in a day! Any words of encouragement? I will take them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will come! The more consistent you are the faster it will go, but I agree with the whole "in a day thing" not working, seems crazy to me. Keep it up and before you know it she'll be there! BTW, you are brave to give it the go before 2, in my experience. Give me a call, we've been working on it pretty hard core too. Definitely not fully trained though. If you are getting frustrated and feel like there is no success. IMHO, take a break. I found with Maddy that there was more harm than good in my frustration. Kids who so eagerly want to please do not seem to learn well under pressure. Good Luck:-) She'll figure it out soon enough.

sbharnish said...

a DAY?????? woman, I'd throw that book away! Any book that promises that is just out to lunch! I have been trying for the past YEAR! I still feel like i am exactly where i started! Don't stress yourself out over it....they sense your tension and all bets are OFF! Give her time....she still is pretty young to be able to be trained.